Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Because insect diagrams are more manly than birds or botany (?)

Work's been quite busy--too busy for me to take time to blog during the day and busy enough that when I get home I'm so pooped that the last thing I want to do is turn on my computer. But I'd always rather be busy than bored, and some of the projects are either already exciting or are well on their way.

Weekends have been full too. My mom and her husband drove up for Easter weekend, and my brother flew in on his spring break. Between the sofa bed and the air mattress we had accommodations for everyone, although aside from a trip to the Brooklyn Museum and a big Sunday dinner we mostly relaxed around the apartment.

At the Brooklyn Museum I picked up a poster of one of Van Gogh's pen and ink drawings for his cypress paintings. I already have a canvas reproduction of my favorite cypress painting but I don't display it anymore; Van Gogh seems such a staple of dorm room decoration that I had to put it away. But this poster, on sale for $2.95, seemed like a nice compromise. The ink colors are browns, and its big size--23ish by 30ish--will fill up the remaining empty wall in our dining room nicely, as soon as I can find a frame for its unusual size.

Financial restraints and a general discontent with most of my wardrobe have led to a moratorium on fashion pursuits, a hole being filled by baby items for my coming-in-six-weeks niece and by a desire to finish decorating the place. In fact, on the bus home from visiting Chris's sister family (including Little Miss Likes-to-Kick) this past weekend, I finally came up with a scheme to tie the bedroom together. I had a whole paragraph describing my grand plans but I think instead I'll just ask if you come across any leftover Cavallini butterfly wall calendars to pick them up for me and I'll send you money? I'm going for an A.S. Byatt / Angels and Insect-y theme, but everywhere online seems sold out of 2008 calendars, and I don't feel like waiting till December for the 2009 edition. Oh, also empty Victorian-type picture frames, preferably round or oval. But only if they're cheap.

If you need me between now and my next post, I'll probably be at the flea market.

1 comment:

liz said...

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for you. Was actually thinking about taking Austin to the bookstore today so I'll look for that calendar for you guys. A good tip to always keep in mind when it comes to odd size prints, buy one frame size up and have you matte custom cut, works out looking museum quality and you don't spend mucho $. Can't wait to see you this weekend. xoxox