Monday, February 23, 2009

A happy(ish) ending.

I heard a rumor that if you didn't call CondeNast to request a different publication, Domino subscriptions would automatically be transferred to Architectural Digest. Horrors! I had enough of that magazine at my first job.

So I called and a really nice girl switched me to a 20-issue subscription to Vogue. I'll still avoid Plum Sykes's columns and, in fact, MOST of the columns...and articles..., in an effort to keep my eyes from bleeding, but, hooray for (photographic) eye candy.

Just thought I'd mention this opportunity to any other Domino-widows out there.

While on a fashiony topic, here's my Oscar round-up:

FAB
Marion Cotillard (my favorite of the night)
Natalie Portman
Taraji P. Henson (I would like to get married in her dress)
Penelope Cruz (my second favorite)
Halle Berry
Alicia Keys (both Portman and Keys looked incredible in the rosy tones)
Tilda Swinton (she's crazy, and I love it)
Meryl Streep (classy, well-cut gown. Wish she'd worn brighter lipstick to offset the taupe)

NICE
Jennifer Aniston
Kate Winslet (bad hair, though)
Angelina Jolie (black AGAIN, blah)
Nicole Kidman (lovely dress, but boring color)
Marisa Tomei (loved it, minus the shoulder)
Diane Lane (nice dress, but boring black)
Evan Rachel Wood (GORGEOUS dress, but vacillating on the color on her skin tone)
Anne Hathaway (tasteful but boring dress AND it washed her out, but it's still better than that black-and-white bow contraption of a few years ago)

YUCK
Amy Adams
Sarah Jessica Parker (the dress itself isn't ugly, but woman, DRESS YOUR AGE. You're too old for ringlets, especially in tandem with a flirty skirt! I can't stand her for some reason.)
Jessica Biel (I like avant-garde as much as the next person, but that bath towel was just awful)
Freida Pinto (I confess I didn't love Slumdog Millionaire, but she is SO PRETTY. So I can't decide which is the greater crime: the fact that this dress dwarfed her frame rather than playing it up, or the fact that it was just generally an ugly '80s nothing dress.)
Reese Witherspoon (and her facial mugging didn't help)

No comments: